Tuesday, October 9, 2012

LAY AND LIE

USING LAY AND LIE

The verb lay means “to put or place something.” The verb lie has eight or nine meanings, all having
in common the idea of “being in a horizontal position, or to remain , or to be situated.”
 Lie is always an intransitive verb. That is, it never has an object. Lay is a transitive verb. It almost
 always has an object. The principal parts of these verbs are as follows:

   PRESENT  PAST  PAST PARTICIPLE
   lay   laid  laid
   lie   lay  lain

 Information: Using Lie and Lay Correctly. In the following sentences, underline the correct form of lay or lie.
   Example: Mrs. Norman (lay, laid) down for a nap an hour ago.
 1.   Please (lie, lay) the cloth on the table.
 2.   Ms. Martinez told us to (lie, lay) our work aside.
 3.   Will you (lie, lay) down for a rest this afternoon?
 4.   I think we’ve (lain, laid) our plans well.
 5.   (Lie, Lay) your books beside mine.
 6.   The doctor (lay, laid) all my fears to rest when she talked to me yesterday.
 7.   The button from my jacket was (lying, laying) on the sidewalk.
 8.   I’m afraid that Tim has been (lying, laying) down on the job.
 9.   Every evening Sue (lies, lays) her clothes out for the next day.
 10. The chickens (lay, laid) more eggs than usual yesterday.
 11. Can you help me (lie, lay) the floor in the bathroom?
 12. I have (lain, laid) the key somewhere, and now I can’t find it.
 13. When Mr. Jones (lay, laid) down for a nap, he was unable to sleep.
 14. My pen was (lying, laying) on the table.
 15. Mr. Brown (lay, laid) his briefcase on the table when he entered.
 16. Miss Jenkins is so tired that she’s been (lying, laying) down all afternoon.
 17. I (lay, laid) the book aside and answered the doorbell.
 18. Our dog never (lies, lays) down when told to do so.
 19. The blame for the mistakes has been (lain, laid) on my shoulders.
 20. Your jacket has been (lying, laying) on the floor all morning.

1 comment:

  1. 1.Please (lay) the cloth on the table.
    2.Ms. Martinez told us to (lay) our work aside.
    3.Will you (lie) down for a rest this afternoon?
    4.I think we’ve (laid) our plans well.
    5.(Lie) your books beside mine.
    6.The doctor (lay) all my fears to rest when she talked to me yesterday.
    7.The button from my jacket was (laying) on the sidewalk.
    8.I’m afraid that Tim has been (laying) down on the job.
    9.Every evening Sue (lays) her clothes out for the next day.
    10.The chickens (lay) more eggs than usual yesterday.
    11.Can you help me (lay) the floor in the bathroom?
    12.I have (laid) the key somewhere, and now I can’t find it.
    13.When Mr. Jones (lay) down for a nap, he was unable to sleep.
    14.My pen was (laying) on the table.
    15.Mr. Brown (lay) his briefcase on the table when he entered.
    16.Miss Jenkins is so tired that she’s been (lying) down all afternoon.
    17.I (lay) the book aside and answered the doorbell.
    18.Our dog never (lays) down when told to do so.
    19.The blame for the mistakes has been (lain) on my shoulders.
    20.Your jacket has been (lying) on the floor all morning.

    ReplyDelete